Granville Street sign
This black and white metal street sign marked Granville Street’s 700 block during the 1940s through 1960s. The 700 block contained important Vancouver landmarks at the time. At the heart of Vancouver’s shopping district, the Birks building stood at the southeast corner of Granville and Georgia Streets from 1913 until 1977. In addition, the Birks Clock remained at that corner until 1994. The Royal Bank Building stood on this block from 1890 until 1969 when it was demolished to make way for the Pacific Centre shopping complex.
Granville Street has been busy and bustling for over a century. In its early days, it was the first main road to benefit from the innovation of electric street lamps. In 1938, the street was widened to accommodate growing traffic. In 1943, a big gong was used on the corner of Georgia and Granville to direct pedestrian traffic.