Collections

Opsal Steel advertisement

Significance 

Opsal Steel Company Ltd. specialized in making equipment for the logging industry which dominated Vancouver’s economy in the first half of the twentieth century. Opsal Steel was established in the 1920s and operated until 2000. For many years it operated out of the large wooden building at 97 East 2nd Avenue where it was a remnant of the once-thriving industrial area around False Creek. Opsal Steel block and tackle patterns are displayed in the Gateway to the Pacific gallery.

Date Range 
c. 1930 - 1940
Place of Use 
Opsal Steel Company Ltd., 97 East 2nd Avenue
Dimensions 
30.5 cm high, 46.5 cm wide
Museum Location 
Storage
Catalog Number 
H2000.27.8
Donor 
Opsal Steel Company Ltd.