Pioneer Steam Laundry advertising fan
This pale green medallion-shaped fan with trefoil ridging sits upon a wooden handle stamped “Pioneer Steam Laundry, Vancouver, B.C.”. Produced as an advertising novelty, the fan may have particularly appealed to this hot, steamy industry. The fan advertised the Pioneer Laundry and Dry Cleaners, established by D. M. Stewart in 1890 and located at 912 Richards Street from 1893 to 1957, until its last years of operation when it moved to West 4th Ave. In 1897 the company held the contract for laundry services for the City Hospital. By the early 1900s, Pioneer Steam Laundry was known as “the most up-to-date and complete laundry plant in the whole of Canada”.