Save the Georgia Medical Dental Building button
This button was part of an unsuccessful campaign to prevent the demolition of this landmark office building, an A-list building on Vancouver’s Heritage Register. The building was designed by Vancouver architectural firm McCarter and Nairne and constructed in 1928-1929. It was known for the massive terra cotta figures of nurses that adorned three corners of building. By the 1980s, it was one of the last old-style office buildings in the city, with a central elevator operated by an elevator man. The campaign failed and the building was demolished on May 28, 1989. Cathedral Place, built in its site, is decorated with fiberglass versions of some of the original terra cotta, including the nurses and the lion and shield by the front door.