FRIDAY Five Favourite Photos - 1979Posted by: Angela Yen on December 15, 2016 / 2:04 PM
Vancouver in the Seventies: Photos from a Decade that Changed the City is now on view at the Museum of Vancouver.
The exhibition displays over 400 photos from The Vancouver Sun collection. To get a closer look and to celebrate some of these stunning photographs, each Friday we'll be selecting our Five Favourite Photos from each year of the seventies.
1) The photo itself looks as unreal as the wing-walker stunt. It is almost cartoon like. I love how it appears like it's taken on a fake backdrop or on a soundstage.
August 10, 1979 - Wing-walker Robert Oakes, twenty-one, on the opening day of the Abbotsford Air Show atop a Super Stearman piloted by Joe Hughes. Photo by George Diack (Courtesy of The Vancouver Sun 79-0516)
2) A great joyous photo. I especially love the scattered flower petals/confetti which feel very indicative of the free spirted decade.
September 9, 1979 - The city celebrates with a victory parade down Granville Street for the NASL champion Vancouver Whitecaps, with goalie Phil Parkes (left) and captain John Craven (right) with the trophy. Photo by Ralph Bower (Courtesy of The Vancouver Sun 79-0817)
3) For any sushi lover or foodie in Vancouver it's great that an early photo of chef Tojo was documented.
November 14, 1979 - Leading the movement that would turn Vancouver into a renowned foodie paradise is sushi chef Tojo at Jinya Restaurant on West Broadway. Photo by Ken Oakes (Courtesy of The Vancouver Sun 79-1646)
4) I suddenly feel happy myself by just looking at this photo. The four distinct expressions are great and with the champagne dripping mid air, the photo feels very in the moment.
1979 - Whitecaps after winning North American Soccer League Championship (Courtesy of The Vancouver Sun)
5) Such a dreamy and romantic photo. The two women look so glamourous that I assumed they were socialites or movie stars. It was to my suprise that the caption revealed the photo is of two prostitutes on the corner of Georgia and Hornby.
November 14, 1979 - Prostitutes at the corner of Georgia and Hornby. Photo by Ken Oakes (Courtesy of The Vancouver Sun 79-1648)